A Line Operations Safety Audit (LOSA) is a proactive, formal process that requires expert and highly trained observers to observe operations in real-time and to collect safety-related data on environmental conditions, operational complexity, and human performance on the airport ramp. Numerous threats exist in the airport environment. These threats can emanate from weather, delays, pressure, procedures, and more. A LOSA is an ideal way to identify these threats and understand ramp crew responses. LOSA also reveals how errors and undesired states are managed by the ramp workers.
LOSA is confidential and nonpunitive and is not a compliance audit. A LOSA is conducted by a non-threatening company employee (typically another ramp worker) who takes notes on what is happening during the course of normal ramp activities. Once all the data are collected then a report is written and recommendations are made to management to both reinforce the positives and improve the negatives. A LOSA enables organizations to manage threats and errors so that those threats and errors do not turn into accidents and incidents in the future. With LOSA, you are being predictive—which is the ultimate form of proactive safety!
LOSA Implementation Package
(we can do it all for you)
Our robust LOSA courses are designed to enable operators to implement a LOSA completely on their own. However, many operators choose our full LOSA Implementation Package. Our LOSA package includes:
- Continuous access to the TACG LOSA team
- Preliminary assistance
- LOSA training for Steering Committee and company (internal) observers
- Company (internal) observer calibration check/tweak
- External observers (optional: we can conduct partial, or all, observations)
- LOSA software
- Data cleaning and integrity check assistance
- Data analysis and report writing
- Presentation of findings and delivery of final report to the Steering Committee
- Line Operations Safety Audit Data Exchange (LOSADE)
To request more information about our LOSA Implementation package